RSBL ADULT RULES
RULES MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE TO ENHANCE GAME PLAY.
3 vs 3 Basketball Rules of the Game
A regular 3x3 court playing surface is half basketball court with 1 basket
Minimum: 4 players Maximum: 6 players
3 players + (1 to 3 substitutes)
- Game must start with 3 (three) players from each team
- Players only allowed to participate on 1 team, Can Not play on multiple teams ● Each team must have 1 player designated as team captain
Court Monitor (league staff)
1 court monitor per court – track time, score, and fouls for specified court
Time-outs (*Running Clock)
1 – 20 second time out per team per game, Clock does not stop during timeouts
Home Team Player will shoot for outs, Player from home team shoots free throw. If made, home team gets 1st possession. If missed, opposing team gets possession.
Note: If in overtime,repeat process above to decide first overtime possession
Free throw= 1 point regular shoot= 2 points 3 point shoot= 3 points
Game duration & Score limit
- 2 game slots per hour
Ex) 10:00 > 10:30 > 11:00
10 minute warm-up (Subject to be reduced pending if there is overtime in game before)
20 minute game with running clock
- OT Initial Possession: Home team player shoots for outs (see initial possession above)
- Sudden Death = First team to score wins the game
- No Shot Clock, however holding ball to run clock not allowed
- Must initiate action or change of possession will be awarded to defense
- Everyone except the shooter will stand near the half court
- Possession changed after free throw taken
(ex. Offense shoots free throw then defense gets ball no matter make/miss)
Procedure: - If defensive foul, team foul recorded by monitor and offensive team gets possession.
- If offensive foul, team foul recorded by monitor and defense gets possession.
- Fouls called by players based on Honor system
- Only players on court make calls
- Shooting fouls are considered common team fouls
- If shot missed, offense gets possession
- If shot made, offense gets made basket and possession goes to Defense
No rough, aggressive play allowed
No hard fouls
Foul limit per team
4 team fouls
Bonus entered once defending team commits 5th foul
Bonus (Penalty for 5 and more fouls)
1 Point + 1 Free Throw
Possession following a successful goal
● Defense gets possession after made basket
● Inbounder must be at halfcourt line
● Inbounder checks ball with defense after made basket
● Defensive team must be at least 3 feet away from inbounder
● Inbounder can not dribble and must pass ball in to begin possession
● Inbounder has 5 seconds to pass the ball before violation resulting in a turnover
...following an airball (change in possession)
...following a dead ball
Defense must clear ball behind free throw line extended
Check ball exchange at half court line
...following a defensive rebound or steal
Ball to be cleared = dribbled/passed behind free throw line extended
...following a jumpball situation
Defense awarded possession
- Made during dead ball situations, prior to check ball exchange
- Substitute must stand near court monitor prior to substitution
- During check ball exchange, defense will hold ball until substitutions have been completed then check the ball back to the inbounder
- Teams must initiate action at all times no matter the score.
- Teams that attempt to run the clock and hold the ball will be penalized and forced to give up possession of the ball.
- Players must hustle at all times to provide the maximum amount of playing time for everyone.
- When one player is slow to sub in or get in position, it wastes time for all the other players, reducing the amount of game time everyone gets.
Spectators are expected to only cheer and support team - Not try and coach a team, make calls, or disrupt the game in anyway.